Thursday, September 13, 2018

3: The Daring Librarian: Bitmoji



The Daring Librarian posted ways to incorporate Bitmoji into school.  The complete blog post can be found here:



Confession- I am familiar with bitmoji and use my bitmoji fairly regularly to communicate on my phone.  However, incorporating bitmoji in my job is new to me and I enjoyed reading The Daring Librarian's suggestions for bitmoji school use.

Initially, I was skeptical about the process of bringing up bitmoji on my phone, taking a screenshot of the bitmoji I want to use, then emailing the bitmoji to my work email to then be opened on a school device that connects to a printer.  Seems like a ton of steps.  Luckily, the Daring Librarian points out that bitmoji has a chrome extension.  I added the extension in about 3 seconds with my bitmoji email and password and voila! Ready to roll!




Now, how to use bitmoji at work.  First example: signage.  Library rules will be followed with more fidelity if they are posted in a fun and meaningful way.  Here is an example of a New Hampshire computer teacher who used bitmoji to liven up his signage for computer lab rules:


I can see how bitmoji could enhance digital communication with my students.  I make Google Classrooms for each class that comes to the library and bitmoji would be a great addition to the posts  added to each class page for library contests, reading clubs, or assignments. Bitmoji would be a great tech tool for classroom teachers as well because it's FUN.  As school librarians, it's vital that we remember that tech can be fun for staff and that fun is an excellent buy-in for getting staff to start incorporating new tech.  As stated by Overbay, Mollette, and Vasu, "building enthusiasm for a technology initiative is crucial; without it, the best laid plans will flop" (2011).  If we start with something fun and easy like bitmoji we can establish relationships with staff and build up to encouraging staff to embed more complicated tech in their instruction later.




Overbay, A., Mollette, M. & Vasu, E. (2011). A technology plan. Educational Leadership. 56-59.



5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Bitmoji before, but I definitely want to try it after reading your blog. I loved your idea of using it make posters. I think would be a great way to get students' attention, since most kids and teens like emojis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this exact same blog! I'm glad that someone else thought that The Daring Librarian's idea of using Bitmoji was interesting. I still wish she would have addressed ways that students could potentially use them. I have a few ideas, so if you have any, please share! I am interested to get back on the district's network, after Florence passes over, to see if the Bitmoji extension is blocked or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh shoot! I forget that the extension my be blocked by the district filters. Grrr...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The filters at my school block everything, but I was able to use Bitmoji surprisingly. Will have to have one of the students try and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am that person who screenshots her bitmoji, sends it via my Outlook app email to my work (school) email to then be inserted into emails. I will definitely try the Chrome extension at work, if it isn't filtered. I have already used my bitmoji in a few emails at the end of the school year last year. I wanted to make my nagging emails trying to round up the last overdue books less onerous so I inserted the 'dumpster fire' bitmoji as well as the Edvard Munch 'Scream" bitmoji. My emails to teachers have never gotten such a response! Teachers who never speak to me, responded, commenting on the funny and extremely accurate bitmoji me. It was a great way to end the school year.

    ReplyDelete