Monday, November 12, 2018

9: Coloring with Quiver


Image result for quiver app logo          Quiver is an app that transforms a coloring page into a 3D, animated interaction.  Users simply visit the Quiver site and print off Quiver coloring pages.  The user then colors the page.  When the user opens the Quiver app over the completed coloring page, the page comes to life.  See the below video for an example:



Please note that the coloring pages must be printed from the Quiver website for the animations to work.  

The Quiver app can be downloaded from the app store and the Quiver coloring pages can be found here: http://www.quivervision.com/.

I can see educators use Quiver to extend a lesson.  Here is an example from Common Sense Media (2015) of how a teacher uses Quiver:

"I have used Quiver, formerly ColAR Mix, with my elementary students. We would use these coloring pages when they tied into what we were covering to extend a lesson. For example, we used the dragon coloring page after reading a story about a dragon and the design a shoe page after we learned about how shoes are made. Students loved seeing their 2D art become 3D when using this app."

Coloring pages aren't the most rigorous activity out there.  I would suggest using Quiver with younger students to close out a unit of study with a bang.  I don't see how Quiver would benefit older students, but I would love to hear suggestions if any are out there!


Quiver Education - 3D Coloring App Teacher Review. (2015, November 29). Retrieved November 12, 2018, from https://www.commonsense.org/education/app/quiver-3d-coloring-app-teacher-review/4092031


11 comments:

  1. This is super cool and I think all of the kids would get a blast out of it. I agree with you when you said that coloring isn't the most rigorous activity, but I have 5th graders asking for the coloring sheets when they see them for my younger kids. It might prove to be great motivations for them to complete a required assignment. I was looking at the selection of coloring pages and trying to think how I would have used them in the classroom. The first think I thought of was that they could select a page and then have to write a short story to match the coloring page. Or there were some coloring pages on animals found in New Zealand which would lend itself to a great science research/writing assignment. And I really loved the Celebrate Dot Day sheets. I'm so glad that you shared this product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, as you pointed out, this is a great app to extend lessons, and even though you were not sure about older kids, as a middle school teacher, I can certainly attest to even 8th Graders enjoying a coloring session! I could see a foreign language teacher using the sheets as a prompt to tell a story in the target language, or, depending on the sheet, maybe writing a poem, compare or contrast, or writing poetry. I think that there are a lot of applications for this app in a lot of different content areas - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see this as a popular tool for teachers to use for early finishers. I can also see my teachers at North Charleston Creative Arts using this in our Center yourself club. I also know educators who have cool down areas in their rooms for students to reflect on lessons and actions, this tool would be amazing in that area of focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the possiblity of using this activity as an extension of a writing prompt or for early finishers. I thought about how neat it would be to create poetry based off the picture. In the library it would be a neat part of a makerspace center or something of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! A perfect opportunity to elevate it from "just" a coloring activity. I know that seeing my colored creation in 3-D would get my imagination moving!

      Delete
  5. This is so cool! I have never heard of this before! I am going to start hosting a "fun Friday" in the library. This will be one of the stations for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heidi, This is such a fun app! I love it and know it would be so popular with students. They already love coloring centers but if you added virtual reality into the mix, it would be even more fun! I do have one question? Is the app free and do you have to pay for the coloring sheets?

    Thanks,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, I had never heard of Quiver before. I think my students would love using this application, especially if there are coloring sheets that can be incorporated into Science or Social Studies, thus extending the lesson by bringing in a art aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my students would love Quiver. I was looking through the examples and saw that Power Rangers are included in the free coloring sheets. This would give my students something to do while waiting to check out. Great idea and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quiver sounds so amazing! I think it would be benefical for any age group to convert their artwork from 2D to 3D. Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, Thank you for reminding me about this resource. I used it previously when it was ColAR Mix but just for fun. When kindergarten comes to the library, I usually give them a coloring sheet to do while I am helping them find books to checkout. How fun would it be if they colored one of these and when finished they could look at their art work with a tablet. I am going to look into this more and use it when I go back after my maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete