Thursday, October 11, 2018

6: Kahoot

Using Kahoot! for Pre-Assessment and Formative Assessment

Kahoot! is a device agnostic web tool that allows users to create question/response and survey activities for their learners.  For example, a user can type questions and corresponding multiple choice answers into Kahoot! and then share the Kahoot via a code to their learners.  The user then hosts a real-time learning activity as Kahoot presents each question to the learners on a large communal screen, such as a smart board, and the learners use their personal devices to select the correct answer for each question.  The user then advances through each question one at a time.  Question and response availability can be set up with a time limit or not.  Music can be played throughout the Kahoot or not.  Also, after each question is completed, the learner who answered correctly and the quickest is posted on the communal screen.  When the Kahoot is over, the top three learners' names are posted on the communal screen as well.  Kahoots can be set up as learner vs learner on an individual basis or small group vs small group.  


Image result for kahoot image

Kahoot accounts can be set up and Kahoots can be created by visiting kahoot.com.  Learners, however, must access a particular game pin for each Kahoot via kahoot.it.

Kahoots can be integrated into instructional activities as pre-assessments and formative assessments.  I can see how Kahoots can be especially helpful as a formative assessment tool administered just before a summative assessment.  Another feature of Kahoots is that after learners have responded to a question, the communal screen shows a percentage breakdown of how many students chose the right answer and how many students chose the wrong answer.  This feedback is useful for learners- as in, better get to studying if your answers are all wrong in the Kahoot- and this feedback is useful for instructors, as they can see where content needs to be reviewed or retaught.

Here is a quick tutorial for Kahoot!






6 comments:

  1. Heidi,

    I also blogged about Kahoot! I use it weekly in my classroom to review that week's lessons, but to be honest with you I have never used it as a means of pre-assessment. I've always used it as a end of unit review or formative assessment. Thanks for the idea. I will try it next week as a means to gauge what my students already know. a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi- I used Kahoot! all the time as a classroom teacher. I would use it as a review before giving a social studies test. I recently searched "library skills" and 8,000 results come up! This would be a great way to start or end class or use Kahoot! as a center and have them rotate through. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of us blogged about Kahoot this week, Heidi. I loved Kahoot for a time, but like you commented on my blog, I then moved more frequently to Quizlet Live. But the students always loved Kahoot - and one of my favorite ways to keep using it was putting the kids in charge of making Kahoots for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not used Kahoot in reading intervention. I wonder if it is something I could use with my older students since we work a lot on comprehension?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that Kahoot allows you to be able to see the wrong answers selected. That allows for a great conversation to have with the class and to discuss why there was the misunderstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard about Kahoot, but I have never used it. I used clickers with my promethean board my first year teaching and it sounds very similar. I liked the ability for instant feedback for students and teachers on the percent of students correct answers. Do you know if it provides the breakdown of what answer most users selected? For instance if most students selected the wrong answer was there a second choice that the selected most? I could see this being helpful in the classroom. Thank you for sharing! I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete